Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving with Fingerprint Turkeys


I don't know about your kiddos, but will all the cousins gathered around waiting for the turkey and mashed potatoes to be ready, they all get antsy!! My hubby's side of the family has 13 kids, and some are less patient than others.  I thought this would be a wonderful kid's table craft for the waiting time.

I found the inspiration for these fingerprint turkey cards in Family Fun magazine, where they were imagined as place cards.  Whether you make them as place cards, greeting cards or just make them for the fun of it, they are a cute way to get ready for turkey day.

You’ll need:
Blank Greeting Cards or Cardstock
Non-Toxic Ink Pads in your choice of colors
Markers/Paint Markers for Decorating

Craft paper or cheep-o table clothes to cover your tables

We made two styles of turkey, one facing front, one facing to the side. The kids will get to make one and if there is still time, we can create the second style too.

First we'll tackle for front facing turkey:
Start by making a row of feathers with your index finger.

Fingerprint Turkey Cards - Front Step 2Add more rows of feathers in colors of your choice. Don't worry if your turkey's feathers are ruffled, each kid will be proud no matter what it looks like. :)

Fingerprint Turkey Cards - Front Step3Make the body with a thumbprint (or two).

Fingerprint Turkey Cards - Front FacingAdd eyes, beak and feet.  We used paint markers for the eyes and beak – our markers were hard to see over the ink (googly eyes would be great too). Don't forget the feet.

Now, how about those side facing turkeys:
Fingerprint Turkey - Side Step 1Make the body with a sideways thumbprint and use your index finger for the head.

Fingerprint Turkey Cards - Side Step 2Add rows of index print feathers.

Fingerprint Turkeys - Side Step 3Add eye, beak, wattle and feet. See? So cute. 

Fingerprint Turkey CardsDon't forget baby wipes or something to clean up those little inky fingers. I also grabbed a "handcrafted with love" stamp for the back. A cute little signature by each artist finished off this busy hands craft.

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope each and every one of you is having a safe and happy Thanksgiving day.

10 comments:

terrie said...

This so cute and such a great idea..
Thans for sharing it...
Happy Thanksgiving

Kards by Kadie said...

Cutiest Turkey EVER!
Thanks for sharing yet another AWESOME PROJECT - Know my daughters are going to love love love doing this with my grandkids!
Happy Thanksgiving Girlfriend!

jessica said...

These are too cute!! thanks for sharing and have a GREAT thanksgiving!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Super cute turkeys! Happy Thanksgiving my friend!
Carri~abusybee
www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

Pat N. said...

Such a cute idea Cheryl--the good old fashioned way! TFS! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.--Pat N.

Rural Housewife said...

How cute! I shared it with my fans on RuralHousewife https://www.facebook.com/RuralHousewife

Bekki said...

Cheryl, these cards are too cute! I had to share them with my homeschooling mama readers:)

Sara said...

Love these turkeys! I am sharing this over at www.thesimplemoms.com today!

Kristin said...

These are adorable! I'm thinking I might make them to use as place cards for my Thanksgiving table. Thanks for sharing!!!

Amy Delmanto said...


I featured your post on my blog. You can check it out at http://bestlifemistake.blogspot.com/2013/11/fun-thanksgiving-ideas.html Please stop by to pick up your “I’ve Been Featured” button.

Thanks,
Amy
Some of the Best Things in Life are Mistakes