Monday, May 9, 2011

9" x 4" Birthday Card

Today is a Design Team Day over at Paper Playtime! :)  The theme this time is to make a TALL CARD (9" x 4" card base).  Here is my card.

The card base is craft card stock, cut at 9" x 8" and folded at 4". I rounded all the corners with my We Are Memories 1/2" Corner Chomper. The black paper is generic card stock. Then I added a twist to the back ground layer: I love the Cloud 9 "Sparkle Cinnamon Burst" paper but the colors are a little too vivid when paired with the die cut flower. To diffuse the paper, I added a layer of vellum to the card. I attached sheer off-white ribbon on top of the vellum layer.

As you can see here, I added the vellum paper so that it can be lifted up and the beautiful back ground paper can still be enjoyed. It features both glossy and glitter accents.

This is a die cut flower by Cloud 9 sold to go along with the "Sparkle Cinnamon Burst"paper. I found this pack of flowers at Big Lots for $1/10 diecuts. I added a little ribbon tail under the flower to match the sheer ribbon running across the card body. I also added two scalloped circles under the flower (cut at 2 3/4" and 4" from Gypsy Wanderings).

This is a Scrappy Mom's stamp that I embossed in black. I stamped it on a scrap of the Cloud 9 back ground paper. I then rounded the corner to match the card base and did the same with the black and craft colored mats. I added white gel pen stitches to the black mats all over the card : sentiment block, the card base mat and the scallop around the flower.

Here you can see another card I made with this paper.  See how the background paper nearly overwhelms the card... I love how the vellum diffuses the beautiful paper but still allows the paper to be seen.

Now, head on over to Paper Playtime and enter in the TALL CARD challenge!
post signature

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Very pretty!

snappy scrappy said...

Really pretty...great idea to use the vellum!

Mary said...

Great idea with the vellum. Beautiful card!